Lobsters are not a take it or leave it seafood. It’s plain and simple. Either you love lobster or you don’t. Our family falls into the first category. We savor these sweet juicy crustaceans on any chance that comes our way as a dinner or on a roll. Our family lived in New York much of our lives and we vacationed where lobster reigned supreme from Montauk and the Hamptons in Long Island to the New England seaside areas of Rhode Island, Massachusetts and Maine. We recently returned from a trip to the Maine coast expecting to see some vibrant fall foliage and of course taste delicious lobster. It was not a great year for fall foliage due to extremely warm weather conditions but I am happy to report that we can put our crustacean obsession to rest because we found the BEST, yes! The BEST lobster roll you will ever taste at Red’s Eats in Wiscasset, Maine outside of Boothbay Harbor.
We drove on US 1 past this cute quirky little red and white seafood place on our way to our resort in the Rockport area. The little seafood shack was lined with patient smiling Customers wrapped around the small building so we knew it was a priority on our GO TO bucket list. Our casual lobster roll curiosity was now a full blown quest for the best lobster roll in coastal Maine. Of course, I began to Google them on the internet along with nationally recognized travel sites and there they were along with beautiful pics of lobster rolls. The meat was piled so high that you could barely see the bread, accompanied by a side cup of local hot butter. No lettuce. No Mayo. No fillers. And that my friend is what separates a lobster dabbler from serious lobster roll aficionado.
It was a brisk day but no one cared. Everyone had lobster rolls on our mind.
The lobsters are steamed and yes a little cold when you get it but this is not a bad thing. It’s October and the weather is windy but the side cup of sweet locally crafted butter takes care of the chill. The roll is buttery and slightly grilled to support the volume of meat. You want fries or onion rings or anything else? Sure. It is all reasonably a la carte and one portion of fries was more than enough for 2 adults.
We first visited Red’s Eats on Monday and from that moment on, we were hooked. The owner and staff were so friendly. Amidst the hungry crowd, they found the time to smile, make quick small talk and win our loyalty. Why go anywhere else? We opted to abandon the typical lobster dinner at a well known restaurant in a neighboring town on Wednesday and visit Red’s Eats a second time. She remembered us when we reached the ordering counter and rang the bell, announcing over her PA system that we were 2nd time visitors this week as everyone clapped and cheered.
Hubby Tom happy that we are #2 today waiting in line
I realize this is starting to sound like a restaurant review but after serving loyal Pinocchio’s Ice Cream Customers these past 12 years at our Sanibel store, I realized why Tom and I were so enamored with this establishment. Red’s Eats is a family run business that offers the best quality lobster in huge portions with a smile and a reason to return again. These are the simple principles that we used to grow our own business into the destination landmark it is today for handcrafted frozen confections.
What can I do now that we are back home in SW Florida? Ship some Maine Lobster meat TKC (tails – knuckles – claws) along with decent bread to grill and locally crafted butter. Then I can hope it will taste as good as it did at Red’s Eats. If not, we need to plan our next trip to Wiscasset.
If you go: Red’s Eats. 41 Water Street • Wiscasset, Maine 04578 http://www.redseatsmaine.com/
- Lobster Rolls at time of Article = $24.95 and worth every penny J
- Cash Only. No Credit Cards. No worries. They have an ATM right next to the ordering counter.
- This is a small establishment with outdoor patio seating on upper level and outdoor seating by the water on the lower level.
- They are closed at this time. The last day of their season was October 21 L
- Their accolades are endless. Don’t be surprised to see a TV food chef or celebrity waiting on line with you.
If you cannot make it to Wiscasset:
- Go online and order a pound or two (or five?) of fully cooked TKC lobster meat. There are plenty out there to choose from. Red’s Eats website even lists some that will ship right to your door.
- Buy some top sliced buns.
- Slowly melt sweet salted butter. I cut my own fresh herbs and add them to the butter for extra flavor and I remove them just before serving.
- Pile it high on the lightly grilled bun, dip into the butter and Enjoy!
- Serve with shoestring potato fries, sweet potato fries, onion rings or a bag of your favorite flavored kettle cooked potato chips. Enjoy!
Trip #2. Look at those tails, knuckles and claws! I write this from miles away hoping to have a Red’s Eats Lobster Roll for lunch. A girl’s gotta dream.